Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Crazy for Crochet

I did some crochet last night, trying to find out how some wool behaves.  It was fun, and I didn't want to stop!  I ended up working on a couple of projects.  I was using a Swedish yarn called Matt-Garn, which is actually for weaving rugs, although it is good for knitting, although perhaps too rough for garments next to the skin.  I think it would make great felted slippers, which is next on my list to try with it. 
I thought it would be similar to Lopi, so I went on Ravelry to get some ideas of projects, I was thinking about some sort of felted items.
During my survey I noticed a mat that was crocheted with single crochet, and decided to try that.  However, instead of starting a rug 3 feet wide, I decided to do a thinner strip.  Once I started, I just kept going!  I am using 2 strands held together with a size 5-1/2 mm crochet hook.  It is making a quite a dense product, and I have decided not to felt it.  I intend to make 3 strips, about 1 meter long and then whip stitch them together. I might possibly do some sort of edging around the whole thing at that point. 







 Of course, then I was quite excited about how the shading was looking, and thought it would be cool to see it felted.  So I decided to make a felted "bowl".  I had seen photos some place of a container made out of felted wool, although I think it had been knitted.  But I was really liking the shading with crochet, so I decided to continue with that.
Oh, the reason for the was the shading is, is that I am using up all sorts of short ends of threads in all sorts of colors.  Instead of tying a knot each time i add a new thread, I just twist the end together with the end of the previous thread to "splice" it together, and it seems to work beautifully!  I figure the other thread provides stability.
So, I figured out how to knit a flat circular type disc, and then, when it was about 11inches in diameter, I stopped increasing and that started building the sides.  I was again using 2 strands of yarn, but this time I used a larger hook, I think it was a size 6mm. 
I  made it about 9 or 10 inches tall, I forgot to measure.  On the rim, I crocheted through the last row again in order to give it a bit more definition. 
I put it in the washer with a few towels, but not really hot water, to lightly felt it to start with.  If I want it stiffer, I can always throw it in again with hotter water. 
Now, I have it draped over a pan that I use for canning (I have done this in the past!) so that it dries in a nice cylindrical shape with a flat bottom.
This evening I crocheted another! one, but made the sides only about 4 inches tall.  I think I will felt it tomorrow.  I will try to take some photos to show you then!


these are a couple of the beautiful color gradations!  I think they are so pretty!

3 comments:

  1. funny how synchronicity works! it must be the phase of the moon or the incipient arrival of fall since felting seems to be on the brain! yesterday i knit and felted some small hearts for a bouquet. it was the first time i've tried hand felting rather than machine since they were so small and i was gratified to see that it worked!
    your colour combinations are beautiful and i love that kind of 'organized randomness'! i'm looking forward to seeing the photos of the bowls all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't seem to be able to get things to felt unless I throw them in the machine. Sometimes they even stretch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those colours are lovely! The way they just blend into eachother is really gorgeous.

    Bye!
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

print friendly

Recent topics;