I like braided wool rugs,
and I like to make them.
I also like to crochet, especially single crochet.
And, having a lot of odd bits of wool yarn to do something with, I have been dabbling in felted crochet. If I hold a lot of strings together, it felts into a nice thickness for rugs.
After I did the rug a couple of weeks ago with the hexagons, I started to think about mimicking the look of a braided rug in crochet.
This is my first attempt.
As you can see, I made a rectangular middle section with hexagon like ends. It seemed to go a bit twisted however, and I can see that I should have ended the row at the bottom left hand corner. Also, the brown boucle that I used on the edges didn't shrink at the same rate as the other sections, so it is a bit ripply on the outer edges.
This time, I am making the ends more rounded.
That means that I am increasing on the ends in an arbitrary way, adding stitches when I feel that it is starting to curl up a bit.
I wound up a bunch of yarns on my ball winder, so I have some balls ready that have the right thickness for the crochet hook, which is 15mm!
Other times, i am just setting the individual balls out on the floor and pulling them out at the same time. That way provides a bit more flexibility in the color mixing.
I'll keep on with this experiment, and hopefully get to what I'm aiming for. Also, I am wondering about a zig-zag ripple type of rug....
This morning we got the new dining room chandelier installed! I like it, and it is wonderful to have some light in there at last.
I will update you when the dining room table arrives!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
print friendly
Recent topics;
-
Because I've been in Savannah lately, Nancy has been emailing me photos of the new fabrics thathave been arriving. This week we got an...
-
A giveaway draw is something that I haven't done on this blog before, although I have seen it done by others. However, a few months ago...
-
I just linked up to a couple of wip wednesdays, the Canadian TN & TN, (the Needle and Thread Network), and Freshly Pieced, http://www....
-
Well, after a concerted effort, today i finished the machine quilting on this monster... (You probably know that feeling where you've g...
-
There are large mysteries, and small. One thing that perhaps you can assist with is to identify what this mysterious object is: (I bought...
Wow, I love it!
ReplyDeletethank you!
Deletei love woollen rugs - braided, crocheted or knitted! i think it's time to make another one - heaven knows i have enough yarn....hee hee!
ReplyDeletecheers
molly
I think you could probably make several. Have you made or seen knitted ones? that might be interesting.
DeleteI found your blog via the Needles and Threads WIP link, which I came to by following Mary Ann, who also joins in WOYWW (What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday)!! Blimey, are you still with me, I'd have got bored by now, lol!
ReplyDeleteANYHOW, I would just like to say that your crochet rugs are fantastic - particularly the blues/greens one - the colours of the sea, my favourite. I can't crochet (I knit and sew) but might be tempted to have a go after seeing your work.
Kind regards,
Lunch Lady Jan
Wow....that is a great idea. I have made teeny tiny crocheted rugs for doll houses and I made them the same shape and the same way as you are doing your second rug...I increased when I thought I needed to as the rug tends to start rolling and won't stay flat if you don't.
ReplyDelete