Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Machine Pieced Hexagons

This is Tuesday, and I am procrastinating.  I am late on writing the block pattern for Saturday's pick-up block, but am finding so many reasons to put off writing it.  I know it has to get done sometime today so that we can cut it tomorrow and have it ready, but these hexagons keep calling my name!!!!!
They are from a new line by Basic Grey called Persimmon.   I like the mix or coral, yellow and blue. 
So far I've cut out 53 hexagons, and a stack of white triangles,   I think I'll set the hexagons with the points running vertically rather than horizontally, because you could do either way,
It's a very basic setting, but I've been wanting to sew a quilt like this for a while now,
Do you remember when I did a series of four posts about using the Hex n More ruler?(If not, I will put the links below....)  well, this is another pattern you can use the ruler for.  I am making my hexagons pretty big---- they are cut from 8-1/2" strips, and the white triangles are from 4-1/2" strips, (with the top tip of the triangle cut off)
You can make this pattern with any size of hexagons...or you can piece some of the hexagons to mix in, like in this pattern by Thimbleblossoms, where some of the hexagons are pieced strips.  I think the hexagons in this pattern are from 6 or 6-1/2" strips,

If you are wanting to learn how to machine piece hexagons, we have an all-day class this Friday with Sandy!  This is the description....

  Machine Pieced Hexagons: the Hex n More Ruler
 Hexagons have been around for a while, but they are enjoying a revival with the modern quilt movement.  Julie Herman from Jaybird Quilts has really opened up the options with this wonderful shape with her Hex n More ruler. 
A hexagon has 6 sides so we sometimes use other shapes with it such as 60 degree triangles, trapezoids or kites to get the design we want or to make piecing easier.  These can also be cut from this ruler.
Featured projects are all by Jaybird Designs.  There is a wonderful selection.  You might choose a small project like Jawbreaker or Candy Dish, which make 20" and 16" cushions or table toppers.  You might want to try one of the lap sized patterns like Delight, Lotus, or Disco. 
Many of these patterns use large shapes which sew up quickly and make great use of some of those fun prints. 
Fabric requirements will be what are stated on your pattern.  Some patterns will use Fqs or 10" squares.  You might even get to use 2-1/2" strips. 
As well as your regular sewing supplies, you will need one of the patterns and a Hex n more ruler.  You can bring your own machine, or use one of the shop machines.  
    Friday, Oct 3, 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. 6 hour class, Instructor is Sandy, $45.00
    call the shop to register --- 933-3072


To see the previous posts on the Hex n More ruler....

part 1, hexagons offset with triangles
part 2, hexagons from strips
part 3, large pieced hexagons
part 4 to make the honeycomb pattern,

well, I guess now I will either go so some triangles to my hexagons, or write that pattern for block 3,

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Recent topics;