when I decided to try the techique of embroidering on to a motif printed on fabric, I decided that this project would finish up in this particular frame.
The Tim Holtz fabric that I chose had three large butterflies printed on it. So I made sure that when I cut the piece of fabric these butterflies would be centered within the intended frame. Also, I cut the fabric pieces large enough so that it could be mounted within the frame.
I have spent several happy hours embellishing these butterflies. I used a combination of machine free motion thread painting, together with some simple hand embroidery stitches. The machine stitched areas are quite flat, while the hand embroidered sections are more dimensional and raised.
I had put a backing of fusible fleece behind the fabric, and although I started out by embroidering within a hoop, I soon found that this stabilizer on the back was enough to keep the thread from puckering the fabric,
then I decided that the whole thing would be improved if I added a little frame in the stitching. upon reflection, I like the idea of adding frames, or borders and I think it will be fun to hand embroider a few more,