Saturday, January 23, 2010
Quilting on a Snowy Day
I dispensed with one that no longer appealed to me enough to finish by putting it in my box of giveaways (next to the other 3 or 4 tops). Then I gathered my tape, basting pins and batting and began to baste. This involves taping the backing to the floor, and smoothing the batting down over it, then smoothing the top down over it and pinning it all over with safety pins. I did this several times until I ran out of pins, which was 5! baby to lap size quilts!
Today I started stitching. I began with the red, white and blue one that is a pretty scrappy disappearing nine-patch. If you don't know what a disappearing nine-patch is, then you will be amazed when you find out because they are like magic. However, that's for another day. I tried this flowery border again, because it seemed to work so well the last time i used it.
So, I have switched over to the 1930's reproduction postage stamp quilt. Actually, the squares are 1-1/4", which is a bit larger than a regular postage stamp quilt where they are often 1" finished. I'm just doing a meander in all the scrappy colored areas. I think the black, yellow and light blue parts will need some sort of motif in them, which is yet to be decided.
Happy stitching! michelle
Even though I am now home, I have some nice memories, and now for some wonderful quilts, the photo of the quilt should be followed by the n...
for the past few weeks I have been mostly working away on my Millefiore Quilt, this is what I've got up on my design wall, I w...
We all have busy lives. Trying to get things done and find a balance between work, family and play. With all that's going on in the wo...
I have been chipping away at Rosette 2 of the New Hexagon Millefiori Quilt along, and I have only to sew on some more of the outer round, If...
As the title today declares, I am making some progress with my English Paper Piecing project from the book The New Hexagon, by Katja Marek. ...