So, I will show you what I came up with in terms of felted wool yarn pincushions, and felted "stones".
And these are the stones: They are just for decorative purposes, but they look nice in a pile.
And so, this is a roundup of tutorials I found on wool pincushions of various kinds:
1. hat shaped wool pincushions These were featured in their magazine one time, and are made from felted wool fabric.
2. rolled-wool-pin-cushions-tutorial these use felted wool fabric: they are made to look like watermelons, tree trunks, etc
3. teacup-pincushions on martha stewart's site is a how-to, and it has a 7 minute video as well, by Betz White, but it uses felted wool sweaters.
4.felt balls and pincushions These are made from wool roving
5. wool applique pincushion This uses felted wool fabric, and is a little applique picture that is made like a tiny cushion and stuffed. It is on a blog called Knot Garden that looks really interesting, with lots of knitted and crocheted flowers and other projects -- must explore.
6. a tutorial on making pincushions out of fabric strips on the moda bake shop site, here
7. Another from the martha stewart site, how to make strawberry-pincushions
8. A blog with a lot of interesting tutorials is polka dot pineapple, and there is a nice peppermint pincushion there
9. a combination fabric and wool pincushion found on the Purl Bee
10. A make-do-pin-cushion that is attached to the top of a candlestick