Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Snowball

While it is winter here today, and one of the coldest days we have had so far, that isn't what I'm referring to by the word snowball. In fact I am using the word as a verb, as in " the project began to snowball, getting bigger and bigger as I rolled along..."

The day started in a quiet way, doing entries on the computer. After a while my eyes saw the lovely little pile of ribbon across the room. on Sunday Kerry had mentioned the idea of weaving ribbon..... Well, of course this was the moment I had to try this. Not having any specific project in mind is not a deterrent on a day like today. I just determined to make a "rectangle", because you can always use a rectangle, right?

So I made a rectangle, tacking down the ends of a handful of ribbons to a fabric base. Then I placed ribbons at ninety degree angle to them, and wove them over and under... Later I topstitched many of them down to stabilize the weave.

That's when things began to roll right out of control.
It has now turned into a five hour project, so far, and is well on it's way to becoming a knitting bag. I hadn't known that I needed a knitting bag, but oh well.
It is also one of those projects where it is impossible to describe the sequence of what you did to make it. However, I have a bandaid on one hand, glue on the other, and I had to research many websites to try to figure out how to use an "internal metal spring purse frame".
Although I am not yet finished, I decided now was the time to share this all with you.











4 comments:

  1. Well, that's a lot of fun! You've got to love a project that takes on a life of its own… Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! You said you wanted a ribbon contest? I think you just won. lol That is so pretty! I wove your cutting table scraps for a postcard surface, but the pretty ribbons into a bag with a clasp!? wow.

    : )
    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is finished, and I will post a picture tomorrow, and I'm pretty happy with it! Success wants me to make more handbags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward to seeing that! i popped into the store yesterday and picked up an owlivia to come home with me - she's darling! i ventured nowhere near the ribbons (i was feeling weak...) but now i realize i need some of the ribbon with the fern on it....if my car starts today, i just may have to come in again!
    cheers!
    molly

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;