Sunday, July 11, 2010

Good Days in New York

I didn't intend to take a break from blogging, but it seems that it's been several days since I made an entry.  Not quite sure why. Part of it is that we went up to Bright Sand Lake for a few days, where it is Internet-free.  Then, you know how it is in the summer when one day seems to meld into the next.
            I bought some red yarn while in Ithaca, it is a Rowan yarn, called Kid Classic.
 Several balls of it.

 I decided to knit a sweater from the book Cardigans, by Louisa Harding.  I started knitting the pieces while still in New York, continued in Halifax, and then here at home and at Bright Sand.  I completed all the main pieces, swished them around in water and laid them out to block.   It seems that the sleeves are somewhat different sizes. Hmm.
I thought I'd show you where my little friends from New York have landed, although i'm not entirely sure if this is where they'll stay.   Did I tell you about them already?   They are 2 assembled doll/metal sculptures that travelled home in my suitcase, which made it very heavy.
I purchased them from their maker, Betsy Wilbur.  She calls them Tin Lizzies.  She runs an antique shop south of Skaneatles, New York.  I think they are amazing. 


The entrance to her shop is full of Tin Lizzies.  If you look carefully you can see the 2 that came home with me.


 and they line the staircase leading to the second floor of the shop.
 This is the artist herself,

 That was a good day.

3 comments:

  1. welcome back! we've missed your stories and pictures - glad you've had a lovely (and productive) holiday.
    btw, i've found that if i knit both sleeves at one time, on the same circular needle, then i have a better chance at having them turn out the same size!
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Molly - I've missed your stories and fabulous pictures. Sounds and looks like you had an awesome time. Is it back to routine now? I'm hoping we can get together one of these days.
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you both Molly and Bernie! I hope to see you around some place soon, thanks for the knitting tip, molly, i sewed the sweater together and actually both sleeves are too long, so will need to b rolled up. Bernie, did you go out east yet?

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;