Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Big Fall Push

This must not! happen again.
First, I was at my friend's house this morning and she has moved all her sewing stuff into a different bedroom in their house.  It was great! So organized and comfy and inviting and conducive to having fun with sewing projects.  I was inspired to get organized myself.(this is the usual reaction to being at her place, I usually swing by Superstore on my way home to buy more containers-- today I got some nice woven baskets with handles...but I digress)
When I got home, I was overcome by the house.  Lately it seems to be a bit too "full".  I really like a place to be organized and "breezy" and a place for everything to go.  Right now there are stacks of stuff here and there.. books, yarn, binders of papers, all sorts of stuff.  Well, I decided to start in my sewing room/office, since it is my center of operations, so to speak.  
Among the regular disorder, I noticed that I was getting a bit of a stack of quilt tops.  I pulled them out and found that there are more than a dozen finished tops that haven't been quilted! NO!  Some I have backings set aside for, and some not.  I do need to baste around the edges of most of them, since that's what my machine quilter prefers, so that's what I am doing this afternoon, that and sewing the backings, and marking them with the size, so that I won't need to unfold them later to figure out what size of batting is required.  And this time, I will not ! put them back on the shelves.  I will ! phone up and arrange to drop them off to be quilted.  I do have one already basted and ready to quilt, and two that only need bindings, so I will try to do that in the next few days too.... aaahh.
Do you have this nesting instinct in the fall too? It seems that I want to get things all tidied up before winter, I think this happens every year. 

1 comment:

  1. i certainly feel like this in the fall - it's like it's a beginning rather than an ending, and order gives you a fresh place to start. i have often wondered whether it comes from a new school year starting in september...i've had to put off my nesting/sorting/organizing for a bit. i had to clear a space in my 'wool room' for my sister to stay in when she comes next week. since sorting (and perhaps downsizing - oh dear!) my yarn stash will take several days, i just can't do it now....but i can plan! i'm not even going to think about sorting my quilting bits just now! but then, winter is long....i'm sure i'll have time then....
    stay warm and dry today!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;