Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dresden Plate Ruler

Every so often, I like to play with my dresden plate ruler. 
I got one a couple of years ago, and it came with this cardboard cover and a paper pattern inside. 
I noticed the other day that now they are just packaged with the ruler, and not the pattern.

Good thing that it is so easy to use. 
Dresden plate blocks, and other designs that use wedge shapes can vary in the number of "petals" or wedges that fit into the full circle.
This ruler makes blocks that have 20 petals in a full circle.
A quarter block has 5 spokes, or petals in it, so I think that means that they are 18 degree angles. 
I made this little table topper with some of the fabrics that we are planning to use this fall for the Saturday Surprise Sampler program.  I decided to call it "Sticks and Stones".  It has lots of browns, beiges, ivory, and charcoal greys.
I was going to make a tutorial on how to use this ruler, but instead, I  found a really great tutorial already done on another blog called Quilt Expressions, here, so I don't have to re-invent the wheel. 

1 comment:

  1. Good reminder.....I bought one of them!! Maybe I should find it and try playing with it too :)

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;