This is definitely the best part of being in Saskatoon-- seeing friends, whether at the store, or elsewhere. So, I didn't have a particular project to take. I contemplated the stack of quilts that have the bindings just waiting to be hand-stitched, and then reached for a stack of batiks and black and white prints. Then I threw in a jelly roll by French General that I've had for quite a while.
When I got there, I had a heap of fabrics, but no clear plan....
1. sew the strips all end to end, cut a little bit off one end, like 15 or 20 inches.
2. cut this huge 40meter piece into two equal 20 meter pieces and sew them together.
3. cut the 20 m piece into two, and sew them together, and so on until you have a rectangle that seems like a good shape for a quilt.
I think that this piece needs a little more work before quilting it, but that will be for another day.
On to start "New Project number Two"
I was intending to make some black and white nine patches to work into some sort of table runner. Somehow, what with chatting and sewing, and resting, and eating, I ended up with rectangular nine patches and some leftover strip set parts. So, I turned them into 16 square chequerboards and sewed a row of batik around each of them. There are 14. This project needs a little more work as well, but that can be a job for another day.
I started with the purple batik, and some orange ones cut into 2-1/2" strips--( just the same width as the strips in a jelly roll!) I sewed them into strip sets, and then added a 2-3/4" strip of black and white print fabric to the sides of each strip set.
Here is another view...
|hello down there......|
Today I decided that another day had arrived and I'd better do something with one of my 3 new Work in Progresses, and so I am quilting this one. (I just added 1-1/2" strips of the purple batik around the edges.