Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Filling the Forms

Several years ago while working as a potter, I read the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.  Or perhaps it was another book by her.  She was talking about how to keep being productive when you're self-employed, or how to keep producing things if you're a writer, or artist or something else.  One of the points she raises in this book has always stuck with me.  She called it Filling in the forms.  Basically, you have to show up for work every day and just stick it out even when it's not too exciting.  That's what today has been like.  I've been plodding away for 7 hours now without a whole lot to show for it.  And I'm not done yet.  Some days I end up with a beautiful finished object, and other days I just have more numbers filled in onto pages.
 
However, Yesterday I had an exciting afternoon! I had quite a large gift card from Christmas that I was thinking about using for a camera.  So I went to London Drugs and just asked the salesman in the photo section about what camera he would recommend as the best buy for the money.  It was quite interesting to go camera shopping and ask questions about it.
I used to be quite interested in photography, and remember clearly the day when I purchased my first SLR Pentax K1000 at Rexall Drugs in 1980.   When I tried out the camera in the store, I took a photo and there was that great scraping sound as the shutter opened and closed. What a difference from the little digital camera I've been using!  That sold me on it.  I also got a little tripod.  Left the store very happy and bought a latte to celebrate.
Now, I need to learn how to use it. 


Michelle

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! Have fun with your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool tripod! I bought my dad one of those for Christmas last year. Nothing is quite like a new camera.

    Kristina
    Sweetfern Handmade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for SLRs!! I'm sure you will LOVE it - congrats!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;