Friday, October 29, 2010

Houston arrival

very early morning flight seems to have paid off.  I woke at the unearthly hour of 3:15 a.m in order to get to Saskatoon to catch a 5:30 a.m flight.  I didn't book it that early, but Air Canada revised my flight plans a few weeks ago.  It was an okay trip, considering that I was half asleep for most of it.  Switched in Calgary and got to Houston only one hour later than planned.  Still, I had lunch and was checked into the hotel by 3:15 pm! What a coincidence-- exactly 12 hours since I "woke up".
Yes, it is Quilt Market again!
Did I have a nap? No, I did not.
I dropped my stuff and walked over to the convention center! It was beautiful weather of course! about 23 or 24 degrees Celsius.  After registering, I even took in the last 3 sessions of schoolhouse, which are 20 minute mini demos or information sessions. 
About 3 or 4 years ago, or perhaps even 5, they developed a really great park area across the street from the convention center which is also home to a couple of restaurants.  It seemed only logical to head across the road for a stroll through the hibiscus, azaleas, and roses, and other nice green shrubby things over to the restaurant for a glass of white wine.  It was nice there, so I also got a nice Nicoise salad.  After that, I wandered over to the Hilton to hang around in their lobby for a little while.  I love the lobby of the Hilton.  I'll take some photos tomorrow so you can see why.  I'll let you know a bit right now -- it's because of the gorgeous wenge wood, and marble slab floors, and Dale Chihuly chandeliers, and giant floral arrangements, and... and .. and...
you'll see.
When I went back over to the convention center I ran into some fellow Canadians, or Canadian fellows.  Three guys from Vancouver, involved with a fabric distributor there, (but not Jeff). 
I stood in line with a bunch of people for the next half hour until it was nine o'clock and they let us in as  the second wave of shoppers for "sample spree" (which is sort of a no-frills, 2 hour exercise in power shopping of various product) 
Actually I enjoyed the conversation while in line, with other shoppers in waiting. 
I spent an enjoyable hour buying stuff.  (It was a great opportunity to get "stuff" for the goodie bags for the people coming to our "Periwinkle Quilt Retreat" to be held at Shekinah in a couple of weeks).
Shortly before 10, I staggered out the door, with a load of who-knows-what into the balmy evening air.  I walked the 8 or so blocks back here to the hotel, and that's the whole story of my day.
Although I did a pretty good job of packing for this trip, unfortunately, I seem to have forgotten at home the battery plug in for my laptop, so who knows how long it will hold out.  Hmmm.  Well, I'll solve that problem later. 
Now I need to go see what I bought.  I'll keep you posted on Houston!!! It'll sort of be like you being here too!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle - your store looked so pretty today! I haven't been in there since the back has been all opened up. LOVELY. Sure makes it bigger. So - can I take pics of your store & make a blog post of it? GOSH I felt so much regret that I didn't bring my camera! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for 'taking us along' with you, michelle. i got to go to the quilt show in calgary this year and can barely imagine what the houston show is like.
    not to mention weather in the twenties....
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monika, of course you can!
    and molly, i''ll try to post some photos, there's a computer in the hotel i can use, so i will try to conserve my laptops power by just uploading photos, and hope it lasts. m

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;