Sunday, October 31, 2010

Houston in Photos, on a Saturday

On occasion, I have tried to describe what downtown Houston is like, but have felt that I have never quite been understood.  The fact is, is that downtown Houston is not a vibrant thriving downtown core that attracts tourists, especially on weekends.  It is undoubtedly a business center, and has numerous high-rise office buildings, but....
These first photos are taken on Saturday, just before lunch.  Yes, you can see some highrises. 
Can you see any cars? people perhaps? plants?
I thought I would get something to eat on the way over, but you are basically out of luck unless you go to a hotel restaurant, since everything else is closed on Saturdays.  Truly.   This is proof.
Well, so I ended up getting a coffee at the Hilton, as usual. 
Now, don't get the impression that I don't like Houston, because I do!  It is just that the downtown is bleak!  It is much more interesting when you go to other areas, which I hope to do in a couple of days. 
Also, there are some places in the conference center that you can eat at.  Also, a couple of blocks away, there is a food court on the fourth floor of a high-rise that is somewhat open.  Well, just don't ask about that.

On to more exciting topics. 
This post has a lot of photos, which is a good thing.  However, they are not in any particular order, so I will just comment on them as I uploaded them.  It is somewhat chronological, as they were taken throughout the day.  I was able to download then upload them on my laptop, which is steadily losing it's stored power, and I don't have the cord with me to plug in (bad, bad mistake in packing).   Oh, yes, they are totally unedited, so might be of very various quality.

When I got to the convention center, I went directly to the sales floor.  It is about 25 aisles, that are quite long!!  I entered about mid-way.  I was heading to the Westminster booth, which is actually several sections. They have areas where sales reps have tables to meet with buyers, and areas which their different designers set up to present their particular fabrics and ideas of what to do with them. 

Isn't this one great? It is a designer called Tula Pink, whose fabric is delightful and happy. 

As you can see, we will have to get some of her patterns:

This is a detail from an alphabet quilt:  It has some very detailed quilting.
I hung around there a little while and chatted with Anna Maria Horner, who is my favorite!  I love her fabrics, of which I have no photos, - but you have seen them in the shop!  And she is incredibly nice.  She was the nicest person I talked with all day! 



This is a view of the convention center: 
It is pretty big.  It covers about 4 blocks and is at least 3 stories tall.  It may have a fourth floor, well, I'm pretty sure it does, but I have never been up there.
Now, we go over to the Hilton: 
Remember I told you that I liked its lobby?  well, this is one of the reasons why.  Actually there are 2 of these chandeliers,
And these lights are on the second floor.  It has a walkway from there that goes over the street into the convention center, which is very convenient.

This is an interier view, from an inside window on the second floor looking out onto the sales floor.  You can see how the booths look, sort of. 
It is really quite a scene!  The booths are generally very colorful, and a quilt show all in themselves. 

Here we are back at the Hilton, where they have a pumpkin decorating contest in progress.  Of course I was drawn to the giant pin-cushion pumpkin.
I also like the stone floors.
Although it's always a tough decision to start buying, this is where I made my first purchase. 
Of course I was lured in by the ladybug-like parasols.
 However, what really got me interested was her gorgeous fabric combinations and really great pattern instructions that have photographs of every step. 
After a while, I decided I needed to go look over in the quilt shows.  I think I will let these photos speak for themselves, as I am tiring of speaking myself.







That was fast, here is a building photo.
People discussing what fabrics to buy...


Well, that's a big chunk of my day.. It is pretty busy here in Houston, I hope you enjoyed the mini-tour!
I hope to post again tomorrow, but who knows if I'll get any photos uploaded. 

p.s.  as I mentioned, I'm in the hotel lobby on one of the computers, and Elvis just left the building.  Really, accompanied by a tall woman in black and hot pink leopardskin and a feathered pink top hat.  Truly.

6 comments:

  1. i swoon!
    beautiful, beautiful, beautiful quilts - my favorite is the barnyard one.
    how on earth can you choose which beautiful things to order? so here's the deal - i can come in to the store when, and ONLY when, i get the projects i have already started finished.... that should be just about when the new things begin to arrive! see you then!
    and please keep posting - so many things to make, so little time!
    cheers!
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for an inside look at the quilt market. Amazing! And overwhelming! I have trouble deciding on what fabric to buy when I an in your store! I am excited to see the new fabric and patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    Very interesting tour of downtown Houston and the quilt show. The show and the sales area is incredible versus the starkness of Houston. Thanks for posting - its nice to travel via your blog!
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, thanks for coming along. it is pretty stark downtown, for sure,

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice to keep you company:)
    laurel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Anna Marie Horner's fabrics! I'm so glad you found her to be very nice as well!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;