Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Big Project

I haven't really talked about this big project that I've been working away at recently.  A member of our extended family retired from a weaving career, and moved into an apartment.  I volunteered to manage the dispersal of the yarns that had comprised her working "stash".  Well it has been quite a learning experience for me-- I've learned a lot about fiber content, weights of threads, plies, and how to describe yarns.  My plan was to:
1. sort things into like groups
2. whip those groups into order
3. identify what the yarns are
4. make a list of what's there
5. get the list out to people who might be interested in purchasing some of the yarns.
Along the way, I had to modify the plan because I didn't have enough space to organize all the yarns at once.  So, I focused on a couple of the yarns that seem to be useful for knitting and crochet, and have been trying to sell them and get them out of the storage area.  Fortunately there have been a couple of people who have come out to the house and bought some stuff here, which is nice because there are lots of odds and ends. 


 This is a shot of the storage room table, and some of the yarns.  There are a lot more of them!
I continue to work through the 5 step plan, and am currently on numbers 2, 3 and 4.  Hopefully there are people who will be interested  when I get to step 5! 

2 comments:

  1. WOW. That's a lot to organize!
    I'll try to keep watching : ) I have a hard time finding the right green for my landscapes. I would buy some- though I don't need much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can i suggest getting in touch with glenda? she's in pretty close contact with a lot of the weavers in town....maybe a list of what you have? i don't know, but it would be worth thinking about....
    in the meanwhile - just revel in being surrounded by all that glorious fibre! overwhelming as i'm sure it is!
    cheers!
    molly

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;