Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Finished Quilt!

Happily, my Japanese x and pluses quilt is now finished!
Richard very helpfully held it up for me outside for this photo.  I like the way the grey and taupe colors are echoed in the background with the spanish moss and the painted deck. 
As I might have mentioned, I tried to be a bit more ambitious than usual when I machine quilted this one.  I had thought that the wide white space would be a nice place to try some quilting that would show up well.  So I bought a variegated gray 12 wt thread.  I have mixed feelings about the thread.  On the one hand, it is quite visible, but on the other hand, it created more lint than usual, although I could have remedied that with a larger needle--but I didn't have one on hand, and I was determined to do it right then!


So I did the leafy vine thing in the white spaces, the "oak leaves" in the "ribbon" and the "loop-de-loop" in the beige border with the thick thread.  Then I switched to a lighter weight plain gray rayon for the rest of the quilting.
Ta da!

 This morning I was outside pruning a lot of trees, and I took some More photos of the beautiful light pink camellia.... I love this tree.


8 comments:

  1. I LOVE this one!! I love the extra borders, and the special quilting!! And yes, yes...I am practicing drawing out those leaves now, so I can try it !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt turned out beautifully! And I loved the magnolia blossoms when we lived in TO but the camellia blossoms are just as gorgeous! Makes me wish for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely - what a lot of work you put into your quilts - but that does make them special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I love LOVE this quilt. It just speaks to me...so awesome!!! Great job on the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a beautiful creation! i should say - ANOTHER beautiful creation! and i especially like how it is colour coordinated with your yard!
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I'm astounded at how quickly you work. Such an amazing pace. The extra borders really make the difference.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;