Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Saturday's assorted thoughts

 Well I continue the voyage that this quilt is now taking me on. I forged ahead with the sashing with a different idea of how to get the quilt to have a more light overall feel
 That is, to sew a sea of white all around it!
 However, because it looked sort of stark right next to the pieced center, I first added an inner border of my new favorite beige linen.  Yes,
 However, in all that, it was a bit tricky to figure out how many units to make for the outside pieced border. So, it doesn't quite march around the corners as elegantly as one might hope.  But that's okay with me.  I plan to add yet another border, of little echoing plus signs that finish at 3 inches.  I keep imagining what it will be like to use the quilt on the sofa or something, and the edge of the quilt is often the part that I see most, so I want something in a smaller scale there.  (I'm not sure if that makes sense to you)
Of course this border also needs to be surrounded by white.....
I think that if i stop there, it will be about 60" by 70".


So this afternoon, we went out just for the sake of being out and about. 
I picked up 4 or 5 books at a bookshop, so I have lots of great reading in the week(s) ahead.  Over Christmas I read a book by Pat Conroy called his "My Reading Life", which is a series of chapters about people and books who have influenced him throughout his life.  At one point he mentions that he has, since he was a freshman in high school, tried to read at least two hundred pages every day.  I think this is amazing, and feel like quite a slug in comparison.  It makes one think.
We also wandered around downtown Savannah for a while.  (this makes me so happy and I frequently feel quite surprised and privileged to live (part-time) in this amazingly beautiful place.
At some point the sky was quite dramatic, and this is a shot taken with my ipod of the cloud behind a church spire. Very Dramatic.
This is a column by a door entrance.  Nearly every building holds some ornamental architectural detail.
 And this last shot just happened to also be on my i-pod when I uploaded the photos to my computer.  It is a tray of goodies in a junk shop some place.  I liked the presentation,
 I hope that you are enjoying your weekend too!  It's only half over at this point,  but I have many pages to read tonight before I rest my head...
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

7 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle!
    Your recent quilt looks super! Thanks for the book tip. Two hundred pages a day is something to strive for. I am up for the challenge. Sure enjoy your blog. A lot. :)
    Nancy B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,
    You are indeed fortunate to be living - even parttime - in Savannah.
    It's one of the places to visit on my Bucket List.
    Have you read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"? The story is set in Savannah. Great book.
    Vieited your store today. The girls were busy :)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is getting prettier every time you post a pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really loving your quilt top! Even though your pieced border didn't join up as you would've liked, I think it looks like 2 ribbons framing the blocks. Very pretty! Your Savannah pics are lovely too! More crazy January weather in Toontown: +7C on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt is looking very nice, Michelle!
    Like Joyce, I would love to visit Savannah. My interest in the city was also sparked by reading "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" in about 1995. It is one of only a few books that have re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt Michelle! So pretty!! Great idea about the border and then the white...so nice...

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the quilt - love the photos...

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;