I noticed this block above, on a flickr thread of photos, here, it was from a quilter called Setsuko Inagawa. I think they are calling it "Japanese X and plus". I had just done it from memory, and going back to the photos now, i see that I simplified it a bit in the shadings. I am liking how they are turning out, however, and hopefully I'll sew some more of them today. They are going to finish at 7-1/2" square.
Another thing that I started based on a photo I saw, was this set of little raw edge applique flowers. I have actually sewn a pieced border strip around them, but have stopped working on them because I don't know what to do with them next. I have thought of several possibilities, but none really make me feel excited. I think I need to get a bit more of the beige colored linen, since I have no more of it. It might be nice to use larger pieces of it in the setting of the blocks. (I know, I just want to go shopping!)