Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

WIP wednesday

 I have quite a small stash of fabrics here.  that is, aside from a tall pile of 1930's fabrics.  I was quite enthusiastic about them this autumn, and might have done a few too many things with them, because now I seem to want to do some sewing with quite different styles of fabrics. 
I noticed this block above, on a flickr thread of photos, here, it was from a quilter called Setsuko Inagawa. I think they are calling it "Japanese X and plus".  I had just done it from memory, and going back to the photos now, i see that I simplified it a bit in the shadings.  I am liking how they are turning out, however, and hopefully I'll sew some more of them today.  They are going to finish at 7-1/2" square. 

Another thing that I started based on a photo I saw, was this set of little raw edge applique flowers.   I have actually sewn a pieced border strip around them, but have stopped working on them because I don't know what to do with them next.  I have thought of several possibilities, but none really make me feel excited.  I think I need to get a bit more of the beige colored linen, since I have no more of it.  It might be nice to use larger pieces of it in the setting of the blocks.  (I know, I just want to go shopping!)

@Bernie, Hi there, it's nice you want to try some applique, and I hope you enjoy it,  this here, is a post where I mention how I do applique, but others might have some other tips or techniques that they like to use, hope you get lots of time to sew this year!

10 comments:

  1. Oh both projects are so pretty! I love your fabrics Michelle. Happy New Year!
    ~Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Monika, both projects are very pretty. Different and stunning (eye-catching.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both your blocks too! Hope you had a nice New Year's Eve (and Day)! Happy shopping! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Japanese X and Plus block is striking. I really like the little blocks with the flowers. I could see alternating them with a creamier colored linen too if you can't get more of the beige. I like the flowers on the rectangles too, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very nice. Lovely. I've not tried linen but I luv the texture it is adding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, when i first saw them, I thought they were placemats. I like that idea :)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    thanks for the link to applique. I finished up the bag that had the applique on it and I love how it turned out. Bot the applique and the buttons are super cute.
    I really love the bottom picture with those cute flowers appliques - is that raw edge machine stitched? I seriously need a better machine to do that. I think they would look great as postcards or placemats (I had trouble judging what size they were).
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you have done the blocks! The applique is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both blocks look great and very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once you make a bunch more of each block, during the zen of that, you'll find out what you want to do with them. Not to worry.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;