Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

English Paper Piecing

Every so often I really enjoy a hand stitching project.  English paper piecing is fun to do.  A few years ago I used quite large paper hexagons ( 1-1/2" on each side) to make this quilt:
(I forgot to take a photo of the finished quilt! Oops.  But it is finished, and in use on our sofa in Savannah)
as you can see, it only uses 10 flowers with a green round of diamonds to connect them.  I machine ziz-zagged it down on the background piece of fabric and then did the applique on it by machine as well. 

This time out, I am using smaller hexagons, that measure one inch on each side. 
 A while ago, I had tried out this same diamond shape with a place in the center to put some focus fabric:

I really liked the shape, so I decided to try a bigger project using the diamond, this time using some of my favorite bright colored fabrics.  There are some solids, and some black and white prints as well.
I had some really great fabric by Anna Maria Horner from a couple of years ago in a bright yellow  with roses:
So after I had a few diamonds stitched together, I basted them to the fabric where there was a nice piece of fabric showing.  This is what the basted pieces looked like from the wrong side,
 I am showing the back so that you can see what it looks like if you havent ever tried paper piecing,
I don't bother cutting the fabrics into hexagons, I just use squares.  For this size of hexagon (one inch sides), I use a 2-1/2" square of fabric. 

 They are really nice to work with on a snowy day in Saskatchewan.  I realized that the brightest window in our house is in the dining room, so I dragged an easy chair in there so I can work on them in the light. 




5 comments:

  1. love the quilt and the idea on framing a picture...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this quilt! I loved it then and I still love it now. The applique is particularly lovely. I think I went out and bought 3 or 4 books with these type of applique patterns after the first time I saw it, lol! Thanks for being so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lot of little pieces! i'm struggling along with a two little pairs of jammies....and that makes me feel overwhelmed! gosh i hate the winter!
    thanks for sharing - the idea of framing like a picture gives me ideas for a postcard...if ever i finish these jammies!
    cheers!
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the bright hexie frames around a signature fabric. This is going to look fantastic and I hope I get to see it IRL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love you flower garden quilt (first picture). I can't stop thinking about it. Do you have a pattern for it? Can I buy it?

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;