Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Before I left for this trip

Before I left for this trip, i had started this post, but forgot about it. 
I have had a container of leaf-shaped tiles around that I had made several years ago.  They are stoneware and glazed in different colors, and they were left over from some other projects that I had done.  I decided it was time to put them to use.  So, the 5 others in my coffee/sewng group came over for a bit of a craft session.  Everyone brought a couple of cement "blanks" -- simple stepping stones that you find at a home building supply store.  We mixed up some mortar, spread it on the cement bases, and then pressed the tiles into the mortar to dry.
You can see that everyone's are a bit different depentding on what sort of leaves they picked out to use:
Later on, I noticed that one of the trees had lots of these really tine pine cones forming on the ends of the branches that are low to the ground.  I wonder why they don't grow on the higher up branches...

2 comments:

  1. Those stepping stones are cool! I need to come to Saskatoon and be one of your sewing group!! To bad I don't think my husband would go for me leaving him to run our restaurant for the day while I drove the 2 hours to come there, but a girl can dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about doing our patio table with a mosiac of broken tiles. What kind of mortar mix do you use? Those are some pretty funky little leaf shaped tiles you made which in turn made some neat stones for that project.
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;