Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Continuing the "Renew Me" quilt, the "Log Cabin" blocks



I am continuing the "Quilt-A-Long" of the "Renew Me" pattern by Art Gallery fabrics that I am sewing as a sample for the store.
I am going to be a bad sample maker because I am now going to depart from the pattern and do my quilt differently.
Well, that's okay, because at this point, I've sewn most of it according to the instructions and I know that there is lots of fabric included in the kit so that anyone can complete it as written, even if they make several cutting mistakes.
I decided to make the remaining 10 blocks that I need for the quilt as the Block 6 log  cabin design. I don't like cutting strips in 1/8" increments, so I tweaked the measurements to still maintain an 8 inch finished block:


The centers: cut 3-1/2" squares.
Strips for the "log" rounds are cut as strips 1-3/4" x width of the fabric.

the other change I decided to make is to keep all 4 logs of each "round" in the same fabric.  This way, each log cabin block only uses 3 fabrics, and it looks like this:
I think that with all the rest of what's going on in the other blocks, the static nature of this coloring will provide a bit of a resting place for the eye, rather than using more fabrics in each block.

I like to sew log cabin blocks by cutting all the logs before sewing.  I just like to do it that way.

After all the blocks are finished, it is time to set them all out on the floor and fiddle around with the placement.  I don't agonize over this part too much, the variations are infinite, and it is not a matter of life and death.
So, I  tend to get right on with sewing the top together.
Because there are 8 colomns, it is easy to sew them together in pairs.

After all 4 column/pairs are sewn, I press them, so that I can keep track of which way to press the seams so that they nestle together when they get attached.  Also, it is easier to press them now in 4 smaller pieces than to try to press it as one big huge piece.  Okay, it is not that huge, but when you're trying to press it on a normal size ironing board it feels huge.
 I'm not sure if you can see on the photo below, but I use pins at the top of each set to keep track of what goes where.  The pin goes on the top of each column.  One pin for the 1st column, 2 pins on the 2nd column, and so on.  I find that stickers fall off.

Because I departed from the pattern, I did not use the nice light colored fabric that was included in the kit for the setting triangles.  This will make a really nice border,  I like the idea of the bright center set on a light edge.  I was able to cut eight 4-1/2" strips, (plus the 3-1/2" squares that were used for the centers of the log cabin blocks), so the border will finish at 4 inches.
I do have quite a bit of fabric leftover.  I am mulling over whether to add another outer border or whether to use it for another project, or whether to sew it together into the backing.
I sort of like the idea of using it up as the backing, but on the other hand, I do like flannel on the back of a quilt.  Also, I can't quite decide on whether to add another border.  I guess it is time to take a rest from it and let my subconscious mind wrestle with these important decisions...

2 comments:

  1. about marking the columns with pins vs. stickers: i have cats, some of whom love to pull out pins, some of whom love to pull off stickers....oh woe!
    cheers!
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you got the comment thing straightened out! That's a lot of cats.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;