Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Post-Guild Meeting and a Tip!

Well I am happy to report that the Guild Meeting went off all right.
(my stuff in the car on way to meeting)
I spoke about blogging in general, a bit about the nuts and bolts, and a bit of the philosophical part.  It was a good experience because:
1. I had to think about what I am doing, and why
2. I had to speak in public, which is necessary now and then to not become too timid
3. I got to see lots of nice people, whom I like to be around
4. I got to see nice projects at the show and tell (this is Shirley H's quilt, which she is making as a charity quilt, hopefully it will be in the auction to raise money for Secret Santa donations, isn't it beautiful?  she is one of the most meticulous piecers I have ever seen)
5. Brenda figured out how to leave a comment!  and! she found the quilting tip useful- and is turningsome leftover pinwheel blocks into a kid's quilt!

Because I didn't think that everyone would be 100% interested in blogs, I did take a little quick tip visual along.  It was an idea I picked up somewhere in Houston, can't remember from who, maybe Fig Tree quilts?
Basically it is this:
To make a really cute lollipop looking block, 
 Instead of cutting out pie shaped pieces and sewing them together,
        simply sew 4 half-square triangle units into a pinwheel block:
 Cut the circle from the center of the pinwheel, and machine applique onto a solid square of background fabric.  -- That's all there is to it!

 After the meeting I stopped by the store.  I took my camera in to take some photos of the Saturday Surprise blocks, because I finally figured out a way to get them online,
and while I was browsing (and clutching my package of a new product I saw in Houston called Soft and Stable), and chatting, either Jenn or Jackie surreptitiously took a couple of photos of their own!! A- Ha!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    I too enjoyed your talk on blogging yesterday. And like Brenda, I have some half-square triangles that would make a cute baby quilt. So, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the idea.
    Berna

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute idea....just working on a baby one. Might have to try that idea...I like it

    bArb

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;