Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year

 

Yes, Happy New Year to all of us!
I've spent a leisurely cup and a half of coffee with my knitting, and have completed the first hand in a set of hand-warmers, or fingerless gloves.  They are a nice pumpkin color, in a knit 2 purl 2 rib.
 I am hoping for sunshine today.  Yesterday there was some beautiful light coming through the kitchen window, and my little miniature orchid looked very happy. 
I suppose that the change-over from the old to the new year is time to do some reflecting and stock taking on what happened during the past year, and what direction to go for the next.  I've never really set many "resolutions" in the past.  Last year around this time I noticed that many people chose a word to focus on.  That is sort of an interesting idea.  I can't imagine focusing on one word and it's meanings for a whole year though.... maybe a word per month, or a word per season.  One person had chosen "gratitude", someone else had chosen "balance".
Here is a longer post on this topic, from Christine Kane: resolution-revolution 
Just one word. That’s all.
Then, hold that word in your mind throughout the year, and let your word guide you to take action.
For instance, let’s take one of the examples above. Let’s say you are one of the many people who would normally choose “Get Organized.” You look around to see clutter and crap all over your life. You’re tired of the chaos. So, you think, “I need to get organized. That should be my Resolution this year.”
But then you read this blog. You decide to try it.
You sit with your clutter. You spend a few days pondering words that will inspire you. You realize in an “Ah-Ha!” moment that you tend to cling to lots of things. You’re scared to let go. So you choose the word “Release” because it inspires you in a bigger way than “Get organized.”
So, every time you approach your clutter you remind yourself of that word. “Release,” you say softly. You start to let the clutter go. Eventually, you realize that you’re still holding on to lots more than just physical clutter. You realize that you hold onto resentment at old relationships. “Release,” you remind yourself. You realize that holding on is affecting your diet and health. “Release” applies to some of the extra weight you’ve gained as well. Throughout the year, you can see clearly how much you hold on. “Release” is your touchstone. It grows you throughout the year. It becomes your guiding force, not your harsh standard.
Your clutter became your teacher simply because you shifted your intent towards it. This wouldn’t have happened if you’d opted only to “Get Organized.”  (excerpt from the blog post link above)
it is quite an interesting read. 
She also has a list of words to consider,


Perhaps I will  reflect for a little while on the list of words, and see if one seems to be calling out to me.  Or maybe to notice the one that I seem to shy away from!!
Have you ever thought of doing this? What word did you choose, or what word will you choose for this year?? 

6 comments:

  1. this is an interesting concept - a single word to define one's goals/aspirations for a year...
    i don't know quite how i feel about it and, like you, need to think about it....
    i got to knit for a while in peace, quiet and sunshine this morning too! for a wonder, my kittikidz were more interested in snoozing than 'helping' mom with here knitting...a nice start to a new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, Michelle. I am thoroughly enjoying all Kaija's lovely yarns.My husband bought me a tall glass cabinet in which to display their colourful beauty in my studio.
    I think my word for the year will be 'Breathe'. Lots to think about around that.
    Cheers,
    Joan Bobyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year and many blessing throughout2011!

    What a lovely little pot of orchid blooms!

    That list of words is amazing, I can't choose just one, so once a month I will use a word that will suit me personally. Now just to personalize my calendar with them.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly,, I'm glad you got in some quality knit time. No better way to start the year!
    Joan, I'm glad that you're enjoying the yarns. I'm also glad to know that you have a studio to enjoy them in!
    Janet, what a great idea it is to use them on the calendar, I'm still mulling over a word to start with: aware, balance, focus, hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the thoughts - I think we need to be open to word change. - choose one and when it seems exhausted move on to another. I read the book, Everyday Sacred, by Sue Bender. I like how she chooses a word and works through it and relates it to art and life. Example: She was looking at some 'white' paintings and white sculptures in a white gallery...and came up with some word possibilities to help her understand what she was feeling about what she saw...silence, purity,light, lamp, inner light, temple of the soul, immensity, mystery, God. One might add snow!! Or one might consider the color in white...just a thought as I've been busy painting! Anyway, lots to ponder.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;