Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday Morning Reflections

Aren't weekend mornings the best time to think about all sorts of things?  things that happened over the past week, what you might want to accomplish over the next few days, gaze out the window and see what show nature is putting on today...
 My orchid is blooming like mad right now, and it even has a double bloom- like an egg with a double yolk.

I sewed a bit on my bonnet girls quilt yesterday, and pieced the center quite simply:
 I decided to use only 12 of the blocks, and so I have 3 leftover,
they are pretty too, and could be nice sewn into another project, but I'd rather stop at just making one project with these blocks.  If anyone else would like to have them, either to sew something, or just to study the way the applique was done, just leave a comment below, and send me your snail mail address in an email and I'll pass them along. 
The applique is done quite nicely, you can see some pencil outlines on the white background to show where to place the pieces, as well as on some of the lighter fabrics, I suppose to show where to turn under the cloth to sew it in place.  Sort of like a match-up puzzle.

I started a new knitting project,  (well, actually two of them)
It is going to be a cardigan for me.
 It will be a tweedy dark blue.  This picture shows how far I got with the first ball of yarn.  It is on 4.5mm needles and it is a simple stockinette stitch-- that's about as easy as you can get!
This is a photo of the goal:
from the book, "Knitting at Home, 60 Classics from Ella Rae Designs", by Leanne Prouse
 It is going to be quite a big project for me, and so I am not going to take any chances in it shrinking later, so I am using a Superwash wool!
 You can see that at the moment, the live oak trees are shedding their old leaves.  Every day Richard blows off the deck, and every day more leaves drift down, pushed off the tree by the new leaves,
 And this morning, there were several cardinals darting around,
I tried to get a photo of them but I was quite far away, and I don't have a zoom lens on my camera, so I apologize for the blurriness,
Cardinals are quite new to me, since they don't travel as far north as Saskatoon.  I had only seen them in books before, and I think they are really pretty birds.
I hope you are having a great weekend too, and storing up lots of energy for the week ahead!


10 comments:

  1. I love cardinals! We used to have them come to our bird feeder when we lived in Toronto. The males are stunning, of course, but the females are very pretty in their own way too! We also had a budgie come to our feeder, but that's another story! I would love to have your remaining sunbonnet blocks...I have been thinking about a modern take on them...would also like to study their composition too! Lauren's off to winter camp today (more like early spring camp) so we're spending the morning packing her up! Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Patti! I'll either mail them to you or bring them when I come back whichever you prefer.. They are really sweet,
      Tell Lauren I hope she has a good time at camp!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Michelle! I can wait until you're back to get the blocks, for sure! And Lauren says "thanks" for the good wishes!

      Delete
  2. ah - michelle - more beautiful flowers! thank you so much! but i do have to correct you on one small error (and a most understandable one!). we have had a cardinal in saskatoon. he arrived in my parents' backyard one year, and my mother (an avid birdwatcher) called a friend, who called another, and so on and so on....our kitchen was crammed with birdwatchers for days and days and i was a little ticked because we never got to eat on time! it seemed obvious to everyone that he had simply been blown off course somehow and ended up in saskatoon. but how did he know to land in my mom's yard, where he would be so appreciated and where he could show off his beautiful plumage to so many people? even odder - he showed up again for a short while the next year....
    maybe he just wanted another 'exotic vacation' to tell his pals about!
    cheers
    molly
    (and my mom's pictures of him are even blurrier than yours!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah molly, this is good to know, you are avoid storyteller. That hearkens back to a time when kitchen tables would fill up with a group of friends just hanging out with simple entertainments,

      Delete
    2. i'm glad you don't mind my little stories - which do tend to wander on! in older days i think i would have been a scop...but then, i guess we all are in our own ways! after all, 'scop' i think derives from 'scapan' and creating things seems to be what we're all about, isn't it? :)
      cheers
      molly

      Delete
  3. Michelle,
    I'm sad that the Sun Bonnet Sues have gone to a good home down the road as I thought they would look perfect in my old house!
    Bernie

    Ps this is my 4th and final attempt to publish this comment - not sure what the heck is goign on with the system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can come and visit them Bernie! ;)

      Delete
  4. Michelle, thanks for sharing your wonderful southern pictures of things blooming and green. I braved the rain, snow and sleet for a trip to the store today and came home with some bright and colorful fabric for a baby quilt. At least there is color inside my cozy abode because all is white tonight outside! Happy sewing. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely - and I love the sweater pattern. It looks like it will be very comfy. I love the hood and the colour!! What a beautiful contrast to the cardinals.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;