Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Crochet Rugs

 I like braided wool rugs,
 and I like to make them.
I also like to crochet, especially single crochet.
 And, having a lot of odd bits of wool yarn to do something with, I have been dabbling in felted crochet.  If I hold a lot of strings together, it felts into a nice thickness for rugs. 
After I did the rug a couple of weeks ago with the hexagons, I started to think about mimicking the look of a braided rug in crochet.
This is my first attempt. 
As you can see, I made a rectangular middle section with hexagon like ends.  It seemed to go a bit twisted however, and I can see that I should have ended the row at the bottom left hand corner.  Also, the brown boucle that I used on the edges didn't shrink at the same rate as the other sections, so it is a bit ripply on the outer edges.
This time, I am making the ends more rounded.
 That means that I am increasing on the ends in an arbitrary way, adding stitches when I feel that it is starting to curl up a bit.
 I wound up a bunch of yarns on my ball winder, so I have some balls ready that have the right thickness for the crochet hook, which is 15mm!
 Other times, i am just setting the individual balls out on the floor and pulling them out at the same time.  That way provides a bit more flexibility in the color mixing. 
I'll keep on with this experiment, and hopefully get to what I'm aiming for.  Also, I am wondering about a zig-zag ripple type of rug....
This morning we got the new dining room chandelier installed!  I like it, and it is wonderful to have some light in there at last. 
I will update you when the dining room table arrives!



6 comments:

  1. i love woollen rugs - braided, crocheted or knitted! i think it's time to make another one - heaven knows i have enough yarn....hee hee!
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could probably make several. Have you made or seen knitted ones? that might be interesting.

      Delete
  2. I found your blog via the Needles and Threads WIP link, which I came to by following Mary Ann, who also joins in WOYWW (What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday)!! Blimey, are you still with me, I'd have got bored by now, lol!
    ANYHOW, I would just like to say that your crochet rugs are fantastic - particularly the blues/greens one - the colours of the sea, my favourite. I can't crochet (I knit and sew) but might be tempted to have a go after seeing your work.
    Kind regards,
    Lunch Lady Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....that is a great idea. I have made teeny tiny crocheted rugs for doll houses and I made them the same shape and the same way as you are doing your second rug...I increased when I thought I needed to as the rug tends to start rolling and won't stay flat if you don't.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;