Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

An Work in Progress, and a new Project

This is the log cabin that I was working on some weeks ago.
I have now got it quilted!  It was sort of fun to do.  I did rows of feathers that run diagonally in the "furrows" -- I think this setting is called "Straight furrows". 
Not sure if the quilting shows up in this photo or not.  I used ivory thread on the light parts, and a variegated brown thread on the dark parts. 
This is the back of the quilt:
 I pieced the backing because I had enough leftovers, and also an orphan block.  It is somewhat appropriate for Valentine's Day!!
 I saw this design in a Japanese quilt magazine a few years ago and had to try to make one.  So I did, but then I didn't find a use for it until now.  I hope to get the binding on soon.....
I think I mentioned that I was planning to sew some dresden plate blocks out of my Pam Kitty Morning scraps--
 When I was chain sewing the ends of the spokes, the pieces started to curve into this beautiful fan shape!

 Then I got distracted from this project.  I wrote up a new setting for 12 inch sampler blocks, and lo and behold, if it didn't prompt me to get out the rest of the blocks I had made out of the Art to Heart fabrics last year.  I started to play with them on my "design wall" and have now decided that I need to do some machine applique to combine with them!  I'll keep you posted on that! 

1 comment:

  1. hey michelle! i don't know which part of this quilt i like more - the front or the back - they are both beautiful! the colours just pop - and using the 'orphan block' on the back is inspired....
    and, btw, that monkey quilt led me down the slippery slope...i think you will find that an awful lot of those fabrics have moved from your shop to my house...now - just to get the quilts made....
    minus 30 this morning - you picked a good time to vamoose!
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;