Wednesday, February 15, 2012

the Crochet mat is felted

I crocheted like mad yesterday so that I could see what the mat would look like felted.

un-felted
felted
The felting tightens up the crochet stitch, but it doesn't shrink as much as a knitted item would.  I'm not sure why this is, possibly something to do with how much the yarn can shift around when washing, or how it's twisted or something.  However, I have noticed that things can shrink up more with further washings.  This was washed in a regular, top-loading machine. 

 I've placed it at the side of our bed, which has a very colorful quilt on it!
 This is what it looks like:
 I made this quilt about 6 or 7 years ago.  I like how the border fabric looks like white fluffy clouds although it is really flowers. 
I decided not to do another rug right away, but I am trying out a felted tote bag, knitted this time.
 It is from this book, One Skein, by Leigh Radford.  There are several good projects to try from this book!
The bottom I am doing in brown, as in the book, but I am daydreaming about what colors to make the stripes.....
Have a great Wednesday!  If you got here from the Work in Progress Wednesday, Hello, and thanks for stopping by,

2 comments:

  1. oh that settles it! i am soooo going to do another wool rug! that blue/green one is simply gorgeous! thanks for the inspiration, michelle!
    (but i must not start until i finish two grandbaby quilts....must not start...must not start...)
    cheers!
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, fun, fun! I've never crocheted a rug before. It looks great - love those colors!! I'm getting close to finishing a sweater for Daniel. Then I have a crocheted blanket that's almost done. And THEN I can think of new projects... :-) Hugs, Silke

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;