Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Embroidering on Felted Bag

Over the last couple of days I have been working on a knitted felted bag.  It is similar in style and size to the striped one I made last week. 
However, the yarn is more of a mix, and I tried a different style of handle:
I think the handle is a bit too large, or thick for this size of bag.  I also felted it more lightly than usual.  It is actually quite thick, because the striped pattern is knit with two strands of yarn, and the yarn that doesn't show on the front makes "floats" on the inside.  I thought if I felted it a lot, then it would be really really dense.
 To me, the stripe are sort of an optical illusion.  They look light and dark, but really the grey on the top section is the same as the grey on the bottom section, but offset, so it isn't that noticeable.
 I embroidered some simple flowers on it, with french knots in the center.  I tried to embroider leaves, but that didn't work very well, so I sewed on some felt leaves with perle cotton down the center instead. 

I also had the idea of possible using a crocheted chain to use in braided rugs.   This is my test strip, below.
 I chained a 12 foot section and loosely tied it so that it won't get hopelessly tangled in the washing machine.  I've washed it once so far, dried it, and now it's in the washing machine for it's second wash.
I did wash up the rectangular rug that I was working on last week, but something went very wrong, and it is bundled up in the back of my closet.  I might be able to cut it up to use for smaller projects. Maybe.

I've also got this bowl in the washer as well:
 I made this one a bit larger than the ones I made last week, it is about 12 inches across and 4 or 5 inches tall.  I also thought that I would try to see what an added ring around the base would do...
we shall see....
I also got an idea from Regina about turning the bowl shapes upside down.  They might be able to be used as a tea cozy or something if I refined the shape and added a sort of ball at the top.
 Finally for now, this is the little skein of yarn that was the result of the introduction to felting workshop from the other day. 
I think that I need to do bit of quilting after all this wool stuff, but I am quite immersed in the latest mystery novel from Val McDermid, so I don't know when that will be.  Plus, I hit a bit of a block in the quilting.  I think because I don't really want to start anything new until I finish something off, but I don't feel too excited about the last project I started with the dresden plates.  I think this is because I am using the fabric left over from the last quilt I made in Saskatoon a couple of weeks ago.  I should have used some totally different fabrics. 
However, I am stocked up again on Steam a seam fusible web, so maybe I should do some applique.
Well, I can see that I am descending into indecision, so I'd better just Stop!

9 comments:

  1. I love your bag and the embroidery looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the embroidery, but especially the optical illusion!
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the felt purse, Michelle. I like the little flower garden:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the bag....it's very cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bag is really beautiful, and I rarely see a knit bag I like. Your hands must get a good workout with all that knitting and crocheting with multiple strands.
    Audiobooks permit working while being spellbound by your favorite author. Especially the more boring parts like cutting or chain-piecing fly by when I listen to a good book, and I often work until I finish a chapter, then start the next chapter while I finish a job, then I start another job while I finish the chapter.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the nice compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty bag! I like the look of embroidery on knitting.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;